There are so many great picturesque villages nearby in the North York Moors with some superb local pubs, cafe’s and steeped in history and local interest. The closest village to The Barn are Rosedale Abbey (no actual abbey here!), Lastingham and the very popular Hutton-le-Hole. The North Yorkshire coastline is also home to many picturesque popular harbours, ports and seaside villages.
- Hutton-le-Hole – Picture postcard village is one of the most popular in the North York Moors National Park. See the wandering wildlife and picnic by the stream on the village green.
- Thornton-le-Dale – Very picturesque village, great for walkers and hosts a beck that runs through the village.
- Osmotherly – Great base for hikers and walkers as it is the start of the Lyke Wake Walk and also set on the popular Cleveland Way. Lovely country pubs and local inns. Visit the Mount Grace Priory.
- Goathland – A walk back in time and famed for TV’s Heartbeat series. Great for walkers as in the right in the heart of the moors. Pick up the The North York Moors steam train here.
- Helmsley – Only market town set within the North York Moors National Park. Visit Helmsley Castle, Rievaulx Abbey and relax in one of the many little cafes, independent shops, boutiques and galleries.
- Rosedale Abbey – Home to a number of artisan glassmakers. Great for walks and explore the infamous descent down the Chimney Bank back to the village.
- Malton – On the banks of the River Derwent, Yorkshire’s food capital, great markets, artisan producers, wonderful food festivals and microbreweries
- Pickering – A bustling market town with a castle and river, it is home to the heritage North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway